Tuesday, April 13, 2004

lily of the valley

Would the plural be lilies of the valley, or lily of the valleys? Anyway, they are coming up through the sidewalks, piercing the ground, perfect green spirals unfolding in their own sweet time. Tiny white bells gave them away. I thought they were hostas. I thought I knew so much about gardening. It is a wet new world, where I don't have to leave the sprinkler on overnight or it will flood the basement. I am growing apricot begonias, three kinds of fuscias, and the lily plantation is on its own. I will try tomatoes.... I will I will I will.

Today, I missed my girlfriends for the first time. I don't know anyone really, don't make friends easily, and am cautious (Kelly says skeptical.) I am still unpacking. I shouldn't expect a full adjustment after one week. Anyway, I think new friendships at this time of life (mid way) are rare. I'll keep the ones I have, use my phone, and go to meetings anyway.

No comments: