Saturday, January 01, 2005

yesterday's news

Advancing across this spectrum. We went on a boat ride last night, the Portland Spirit. My expectations weren't huge, but I did expect it to be more like a boat ride than a floating restaurant. But I guess that's exactly what it is. I'm glad it was new year's eve and I was all dressed up because it was pretty fancy. The music was a piano bar of standards played by "the very handsome and wonderful [somebody] Goldberg. " We were up on the top deck and ran into him and I asked him if he knew any blues. He said he did, then went back to his piano and put a little spin on Danny Boy. I like Danny boy. I like Moon River. But we were a captive audience unless you really like to swim, in the rain. The rain. K won the trip by being the guy to take the most alternative transportation in Hillsboro (the Maxx) and so it wasn't much money and the food was great. We just should have taken it in the summer. The starlight deck was awash with puddles deeper than my clogs (don't wear clogs on boats). Our waiter, our personal waiter, was Gherrralll (emphasis on the final sylabal.) He and the rest of the crew could sing too. They had to. It was part of the job. The gay community was well represented, and an old woman sitting at the next table from Roy, Utah was horrified. After we docked, we drove back home, let the dog out, and went to a dance. It was awful. Every song sounded like "Achy Breaky Heart" and I longed for a good blues bar. We won't make that mistake again. We came home and played scrabble. That was the funnest part. I kicked ass.

So it's 2005. I'm going to bake a ham.

2 comments:

asha said...

Happy New Year. :)

asha said...

Also, happy first blogging anniversay! Woo-hoo.