Friday, January 27, 2006

pain

I filled out a silly little questionnaire about friendship yesterday. One of the questions was about pet peeves.

Currently, mine is pain.

Yesterday I was not in pain for the first time since mid-December. It was galvanizing. It lasted a day. One day. I got a cortisone/novocaine shot in my shoulder and for a minute, it seemed like everything was going to be alright. The sun came out (figuratively, we're in Portland, don't forget...), my mood shifted, and the drive to McMinnville wasn't quite so unbearable. But it is not going to be that easy. The pain is back this morning, and last night, and the monkey that lives on my back, the light sleeper, is up and screaming for breakfast. It is a tightrope I walk, the abyss beneath me with depths familiar and terrifying, looms in and out of focus. And I starve the monkey today, as long as I can hold out. Surgery is sounding more appealing by the minute. My arm hangs from a partially detached shoulder joint, stretching the muscles of my neck and arm simultaneously. Something's gotta give.

2 comments:

Kristiana said...

So did they tell you when you can expect to be surgered and healed?

asha said...

Yeow! I am so sorry to hear you are in this much pain. I wish I could do something for you, a little dance perhaps. A joke or two. But all I can think of is offering you something strange. Very strange....a slice of Fat Pie. http://www.fat-pie.com/flash.htm