Saturday, May 22, 2004

grass

We just put in a new back lawn. I've done it before and it brings back some memories for me of the old days. The strangest things will give rise to the ghosts, so many, so varied. It is during gardening events that I recall the aborted attempts of my early days. I mostly remember trying to blame grass seed for not growing when truth was that I didn't water it. My sweetie, my husband of three weeks, asked if I knew what I was doing (as I was spreading the seed). Sure. I always know what I'm doing. I've done it wrong so many times that by sheer process of elimination I get it right from time to time. What I know about grass seed is this: it grows if you water it. Now, if you plant grass seed in July, water it for three days running, then you decide its a good idea to shoot heroin and drink whiskey for three days and don't see the light of day and then, on the third day of 105 weather, you peek your head out the door and little brown whiskers are covering your lawn, it ain't the seed.

No comments: