Saturday, May 29, 2004

rockets and terrorism

I was talking with my sister in law today. She's a rocketeer. She has a pretty good time with it. She and her husband were just on the front page of the Living section of the Oregonian, and it isn't the first time she's made the paper about rockets. They were suspected of terrorism a year or so ago, in the wilds of middle Oregon, out in the desert near Bend. They sell rocket motors for fellow enthusiasts, and the ATF wasn't wild about the competition, I guess. I really don't know much about it: the ATF, their concerns, or Jane's rockets, or anything else, really.... but there they were, in the paper again. Apparently since the ATF became concerned, all kinds of interest in rocketeering has been generated. Kind of a draw for yuppie civil near-disobedience. They probably aren't really even yuppies... too young. But never the less, the disobedience is appealing. The build rockets some 5 and 6 feet long, with motors, directional gear and parachutes to guide them safely back to Bend. It is complicated. The rockets are painted with metallic paint, tattooed with decals of any sort, and I think they lose a few to the elements and distance. Blowing shit up.... I guess its one way to pass the time. Me? I like to go to the dump and break glass.

No comments: