Wednesday, June 23, 2004

cleansing

It rained last night following a week of heat. For the past several years I've had the luxury of air conditioning, and have passed the time moving from one temperate zone to another: home to office to truck.... We do not have AC. Don't, as a rule, need it. It stays pretty cool around here. But it has been in the low 90's and managing the temperature of the house a challenge. Managing air. Try as I may to trap the cold stuff, corral it like a barnyard animal, it just doesn't keep. There are critical junctures throughout the day. Equinoxes. In the morning, as the outside temperature equalizes with inside, I shut the place down. Pull curtains, close off the upstairs. Then, as the whole place heats up anyway, as the temperatures become close again, I fling open the doors, turn on an upstairs fan and hope the laws of physics continue to hold sway. (heat rises) That's my life.

The hunchback got a haircut. He looks decidedly more male in his slivery pink top and mini skirt. The flamingos are still here, a fixture by now. my flowers are growing and Cooky came to stay with us. There is something about having outside guests that makes it seem less like a dream and more like home. I live here now.

No comments: