Tuesday, June 22, 2004

disenchantment: What The *%$@~ Do We Care???

So much disturbs me. So many little ordinary things shift the ground beneath my feet. I want to say at the outset that I don't actually believe in magic. (magik, nowadays, among the newly annointed) I'm not in favor of any particular brand of belief; do, in fact, find belief difficult both to have and to undo, let alone outrun.

That being said, I love the idea of mystery, of not knowing, of being in the dark either literally or figuratively.

So we went to this inane movie last night (What The Bleep Do We Know?). Some people think it is wonderful, inspiring. I'd been hearing about it for some time and had some interest in seeing it. I'll admit it. Shit, I bought the book "The Celestine Prophecy" and hated it for many of the same reasons. It isn't that I'm not glad these movies are made. I am. I think there are people so misguided, so fundamentally asleep, as to make spiritual pablum a social necessity.

This is not to claim even a nodding acquaintance with quantum physics. Seriously. Those guys have figured out stuff most all of us weren't even wondering about. And good for them.

Here's the thing.... I don't care. I know it is probably the height of human arrogance to think we've figured out enough. I think during the age of enlightenment, during the renaissance, during industrialization, there was some bitch sitting around her hand carved dining room table in her mud hut, saying, "Enough, already.Flat, round, who gives a shit?" Well.... that would have been me. I'm happily human, happily stunned to have been allowed another day upright, above ground. I just don't need to know what is going on at the molecular level to be happy.

Not only do I not know what I don't know.... I don't want to know. I don't want my world demystified, disenchanted.

Beyond that, I think they get it WRONG when they take perfectly good information about quantum theory, molecular structure, perfectly good brain chemistry and neurological data and force it into a new age mold with romance, addiction and Marlee Maitlin to spin out a docu-drama so poorly constructed as to rival "Bird on a Wire." What was the point? WE ARE ALL ONE.

Are not are not are not.

You know what was cool, though? It was shot in the Bagdhad Theater, just around the corner, and that's where we watched it. THat, at least, was surprisingly eerie. The rest? Review.

No comments: