Tuesday, March 21, 2006

daytime TV

Kenny Rogers had plastic surgery. No one says anything about it, but there he was, singing like Kenny Rogers, but looking kind of like Keanu Reeves with gray hair. Little beady eyes, taut skin. He didn't look anything like Kenny Rogers. Now, I never thought anything about him, never thought he was hot or all that great except when I was 13 and that first song, "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in" was launched, and I was just starting to take acid, and it was very deep. I've never been deeper than when I was a teenager. Everything was so important, and I'm sure it still is, and I'm glad there are still teenagers who think so, and adults who give a shit, but I don't. But then Kenny Rogers jumped the hip ship over to country music without missing a beat, and Ruby Don't Take Your Love to Town was the big hit of the Satin Slipper crowd -- or the Sit 'n Slapper, as we called it. So, now Kenny Rogers, prematurely gray, is postmaturely young. I'm not against plastic surgery, have had my share, it is just so wierd to look at a famous face, and go through the mental effort to make sense of it all when no one says anything. I have a great friend who had a face lift and she was so out front about it. I mean, why wouldn't you be? Its your face for crying out loud. Why act like nothing happened? Like, "No, I've always looked like this. What's your problem?"

And, as always, who cares what Kenny Rogers looks like? Not me. Maybe it wasn't Kenny Rogers at all. Hey, maybe it WAS Keanu Reeves. Shit!

I love daytime TV. I love not working. I almost got hired yesterday. Whew. It was close. I sat there in the interview doing what I do, impressing the hell out of them, and when it looked like I had the job in the palm of my hand, I said "No, thanks. But if you have something that is, like, no work for a lot of money, where I can come in at, say, 10ish, and leave whenever I feel like it, I'm your gal." No, seriously, I'd come in at 8. ish.

The View is on right now. I don't like it. The Young and the Restless (which Dave Quick used to call, "The Hung and the Rest of Us,") will be on at 11. I have therapy at 12:30 so will have to record "As the World Turns," and "Guiding Light." I don't watch Dr. Phil much, and only catch the dancing monologue of Ellen , but that's it. Seriously, it can suck the life from your whole day. I lay on the floor, do my exercises, my personal shoulder torture routine, and listen to tips on how to organize your garage, how to color easter eggs, and how to braize beef. Martha Stewart has a great attitude if you ask me. She looks like she's having much more fun now that she's done a little stretch in the joint. She is very organized, as we all know, and was talking about the importance of making a monthly calendar. As we, the TV audience, watched, she showed her own personal calendar for last month, the dinner party on the 12th, the sailing date with Mick Jagger and his family on the 15th. Cognitive Dissonance. "They are SUCH a nice fam-i-ly," she says in passing, her prissy little face speaking the grossly improbable with New England precision as she moves on to the next date on her calendar with plans to wash all of the wicker baskets in her house and reupholster the garden furniture in awning stripe. oh. a day in the life. Nothing unusual. And like looking at Kenny/Keanu Rogers/Reeves, I simply suspend disbelief and move on.

KR/KR?? Do you think they might be the same person?

No comments: