Friday, July 09, 2004

Safeway

Two for one sale. Eggs. Two dozen for the price of one. Only the one dozen price is three bucks. I don't care. (this is my theme, my mantra, my thread) By the time I hit Safeway, I've abandoned any hope of thrift. My husband shops at Winco. This is hard for me. I'll admit to being white trash in some ways, but I really like Freddy's better. Winco is just too much. The aisles too long, the meat department more like a slaughter house than I like to face. Miles of food. Bad veggies, unripe fruit, small avocados. No good sourdough bread. But it's cheap cheap cheap, isn't it? And bagging my own groceries.... I hate that part. Such pressure, and my obsessive need for order makes it nearly impossible to get through the chore. How many cans in one bag? How important is balance anyway. Paper or plastic? This becomes my own personal dilemma. I prefer paper, but only, I think, because of poverty. The remnants of childhood. We used to need them for garbage sacks, neatly folded over at the top, twice if you were good at it. And draining the grease from chocolate chip cookies -- we removed them from cookie sheets into neat little rows on brown paper sacks to cool. Now, there is little use for them save recycling. And its funny, the money spent on just the right paper towels to drain the cookies.... evidence of affluence. When we did not waste, we did not consider wasting. Recycling itself is a product of affluence.

No comments: