Saturday, July 31, 2004

tin fence

We are finally fencing in the back yard we conscripted from our neighbor in the name of home improvement. We've started quite a trend. Neighbors three doors back and one across are busily improving their back yards. Taking down that hedge, that 30 foot laurel hedge, started something big. But I don't want to watch. I want my privacy back. I want to disappear into my little green space and putz around unobserved. And it's not that I think I'm fun to watch, I just feel exposed. I may still have the teensiest bit of residual paranoia. You decide. I didn't list my phone number until a few years ago. Ah well, the remnants of that other life.... So it was my idea to make a tin fence. Wood is so expensive. Jesus. A single red cedar board at Home Depot (I call it Home Despot) is $39.95. Shit. So a 40 foot run would be, well, alot. I was married to a logger once, so the relative value of boards is changed when you can make your own. But he died, which wasn't so bad, but is another really long story, and now we have to buy boards. So this guy tells us he has all this tin sitting around, and I'm thinking the nice old wavy kind of tin. No. It is more industrial than that, and painted barn red. Why? I had to know. Because it was part of a barn. The door. So, we will have a dismantled barn door for a fence. For awhile anyway. I don't care. I can decorate anything. I'll just call it shabby chic. At least we didn't buy the tin at an antique store for twice the original price like bobo's are prone to do.

There were brown recluse spiders between the sheets (of tin, not my bed sheets.) Those things are nasty.

No comments: