Monday, February 02, 2004

groundhog's day

I wonder, now that we've all seen Janet Jackson's right breast if there will be six more weeks of winter?

Twenty six years ago right now I rolled some guy's el camino just up-river from Star ranger station. I went through the windshield, left wrist first. Rolled it twice and endo'd it once. Endo. End over end. Big bad wreck. The hard part was I couldn't find my baby when it was done. It happened so fast. I was drinking whiskey for the first time since my baby was born. I waited a month to the day, it felt like the mandatory waiting period before a divorce becomes final. I'd done my time. I had stopped by Sherman's to show him the car. He appreciated Fords. So I lit up the tires leaving his place and he told me later he had a bad feeling. I didn't. I had a good feeling. I was listening to Sentimental Lady by Fleetwood Mac, singing along. Then there was a fog bank, maybe, or I closed my eyes. Hard to say for sure. There were three of us in the cab. I think my sister found the baby. I remember he was still referred to as "the baby." He hadn't even become Marky yet, let alone Mark. Thank god he bounced. My bouncing baby boy. He is still bouncing....

No comments: