Wednesday, October 06, 2004

In the pink and out again

I'm going stir crazy. For four months it was fine to not have a job. It is no longer fine. I want a job. A bookstore or coffee kiosk would be fine. Just something to do. So, I'm painting the bathroom. I know me and boredom. A dangerous combination. And danger... ah....mother's milk. So, off I go to the paint store for another gallon of not-quite-white as I like to call it. I'm painting it all. I'm painting the vinyl wallboard around the tub. HEY I'll paint the tub!!! I'll paint a mural on the underside of the tub which is currently lime green. Any ideas? I'm wide open. It used to be a mystery to me why old people (Elizabeth, the former owner of the house, old german lady) have such abysmal taste (lime green tub, pepto bismol pink room). Or had, in Elizabeth's case. It took me years of nursing home work and eight hour days of not exactly critical observation to figure it out: they are blind. They can't see the fucking colors, so they choose the garish ones. It's all they can see. Otherwise it's all gray. I'm still working on answering the question of why so many "plant" plastic flowers in their yards. I'll let you know what I come up with. Although if I am on the right track, I think its because they don't care. Like me.

My husband says he'll miss the pink. I'll save him a corner.

1 comment:

asha said...

How about painting sharks on the inside of the tub and turning it into a goldfish tank? Then add a shower to the corner of the room and make the outside walls glass and stick plastic flowers around the yard that you can see while you're bathing. That way you not only enliven your own home, you are a one woman neighborhood beautification project.